On 18 May 2010 a recast of The Directive on energy performance of buildings (2002/91/EC) was adopted in order to strengthen the energy performance requirements and to clarify and streamline some of its provisions. (the Directive is expected to be published in the Official Journal in June).
These are some of the milestones:
- 16 Dec. 2002: EU adopts Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD).
- Jan. 2006: Deadline for transposing directive into national law.
- 14. Nov. 2008: Commission proposes revision of EPBD.
- 23 Apr. 2009: Parliament adopts first-reading position.
- 17 Nov. 2009: EU reaches political agreement on directive.
- 18 May 2010: Parliament approves new legislation.
- End 2018: Public buildings to have nearly zero energy standards.
- End 2020: All new buildings to be nearly zero energy.